Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What is a Dick?

LOL bet that subject has you laughing.
So here is the story.
My son is in 5th grade. a naive 11. The class had the brilliant idea to watch a movie for their end of year celebration. So my son was introduced to Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I ask him how he liked the movie. (it's been a long time since I've seen it. I remember something about a phone book and a trench coat and I don't think I'm remembering superman although I can't be sure. :)) He tells me plenty of funny aspects of the movie then tilts his head to the side and ask me what it means to call someone a dick? I paused then said. Hmmm, let me ask your dad.

So I ask Sean, should I tell him it's short for Richard or do I tell him it references a part of the male anatomy? I certainly don't want him running around calling everyone named Richard, Dick. but the alternative is to tell him that yep, you can insult someone by calling him another term for your private parts. Well we opted for the truth and told him he's not old enough to use the word and it goes into the same mental word file for future use when he's older as shithead, fucker, and sooo many other enlightened terms he's come home from school with.

No comments: