Friday, December 27, 2013

A little Friendly Temptation with Elaine Radley

Today I have Elaine Radley with me. She has a naughty little gem in the Wilder side of the Garden--Friendly Temptation - and Oh My Hello that cover is hot!

So grab a cup of tea, slip on your favorite slippers and let’s get to know Elaine.

KyAnn: Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?

Elaine: I would say a combination of the two.  A general idea enters my head and rattles around for a while before I sit down and start to type.  I’ll know I need to get from point A to B to C, but will sometimes take a circuitous route.  My characters whisper to me (No, I’m not schizophrenic.  At least I don’t think so), and from their guidance, I determine how to proceed.  Does that sound a little nutty?

KyAnn: Have you ever cried while writing a book?

Elaine:   I’m not embarrassed to admit I have.  I become very attached to my characters and when they’re in pain, so am I.  I wrote a scene where my main character is (seemingly) betrayed by the man she adores.  I was weepy for days over that one.

KyAnn: Do you have set times during the day that you write?

Elaine:   Oh dear.  Yes, I’m a night owl and will always be so.  Currently, I’m sitting here answering questions at 7 in the morning…and I haven’t gone to bed yet.  Soon my hubby will be up and about, and I’ll be on the receiving end of raised eyebrows…not in surprise, more in acknowledgement.  Yup, that’s how it goes.

KyAnn: When did you first, without hesitation, call yourself a writer?

Elaine:   Even after my first contract it took me a little bit to form the words.  I think it’s because of all the expectation, which comes with it.  The inevitable “Oh yeah? What do you write?” comes to mind and for me it’s a bit of a minefield.  The question is more like “What don’t I write?”  My first two contracts are erotic in nature and although I’m proud of them, I’m squirming in my shoes at the same time.  My writing spans beyond the genre, including YA, horror and suspense.  I always try to follow my capricious little muse and don’t anticipate she’ll lead me astray.

KyAnn: Describe your writing style in ten words or less.

Elaine:   Concise, but descriptive with true-to-life dialogue.

KyAnn: You can erase one embarrassing experience from your past. What will it be?

Elaine:   Uh, oh.  There are too many to choose from!  Okay, I have one:  Drinking too much cheap champagne on an empty stomach and proceeding to throw up and pass out at a friend’s wedding reception.  How’s that for embarrassing?  In my own defense, I was only nineteen.  What a lesson though!  At least it was before everyone had camera phones…

KyAnn: Have you ever found true love?

Elaine:   My husband of 20+ years is my true love.  He’s also my best friend (It’s amazing how much patience this man has!) and the father of my two wonderful children.  We reached the point long ago where we’re able to finish one another’s thoughts and anticipate what comes next.  I think it sometimes creeps out the kids.  That’s love. 

KyAnn: If you came with a warning label, what would it say?

Elaine:   *Subject to moodiness and daydreaming.  Handle with care.

KyAnn: What makes you laugh?

Elaine:   Hmmm…I’m can be kind of a tough customer.  I love dry humor, like Woody Allen, Albert Brooks and anything Monty Python, but I’m not above a giggling fit linked with something juvenile or stupid, depending on my state of mind. Sometimes just the memory of some past event will have me smirking and snorting, much to the confusion and paranoia of any present company.

KyAnn: What is your favorite time of year and why?

Elaine:   I love autumn.  You’d think I wouldn’t considering my birthday falls during that time, but the changing of the leaves and crisp air always lightens my mood and makes me breathe a little easier.  Besides, Halloween just rocks. J

Thank you so much for stopping by. To learn more about Elaine, find her on the web.







No comments: