Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Over the river and through the woods...safely

It’s freezing cold here in Utah and we’re about to go over the river and through the woods to Grandmother’s house. So in light of recent news stories, I’ve done some internet digging and am making my family an emergency kit for our car. I plan to use a small bin since we’re a family of 4. But some sites recommended an empty coffee can to make a kit for one person.

I’m gathering the following items for my kit.

A small ball of strong twine.

Two candles, a lighter and a Ziploc baggie with a book of matches.

A pocket knife.

A bright orange bandana that I can tie to the antenna if we needed to mark the car for help.

4 bottles of water.

A couple plastic spoons

Cliff bars and canned food that has the easy pop and pull tab on top.

A sleeping bag and a sun shield blanket

A flashlight

A first aid kit

A roll of toilet paper

An empty milk jug filled with cat litter. This is to give tires traction if you get stuck

I already have jumper cables, an ice scraper and a phone charger in my vehicle. So those didn’t need added to my kit.

Only keep your kit in your trunk if you have access to the trunk from inside the car. My car seats pull forward to access the trunk so I feel safe keeping it in the trunk. But trucks can freeze shut so keep inside your car if there is no trunk access from inside the vehicle.

If traveling please be safe this holiday season.


KyAnn

No comments: