Friday, February 07, 2014

Ruby Bassett sits in the Hot Seat

Today the talented Ruby Bassett has stopped by the KyAnn Waters Hot seat. Her sizzling tale Idol Urges is available from the Wild Rose Press. 

How did you do in English as a kid? 

I was a very late reader, so school was not a pleasant place for me for many years. I went to tutors and my parents helped as much as they could at home. But for some reason the reading switch in my brain wouldn’t turn on. I was jealous of my friend who read Judy Blume and other popular books, and I was left out of those talks. But then something clicked when I was in Seventh grade. I went from being in the lowest reading group to the highest. The moment is still vivid in my mind, the moment when my teacher handed me the most difficult book the class would be reading. I devoured ever book I could put my hands on and have been making up for lost time ever since.

I loved Judy Blume Books too!

Does working to deadline inspire or annoy you? 

I’d never get anything done without a deadline. I don’t wait until the last minute, so I set mini deadlines for myself. Otherwise I’d lunch with my friends every day and take a lot of walks with my dog.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? 

In anything I write the women need to be strong.  She’s always going to have a goal, stand up for herself, never bow down to any man, woman, or creature. She might be overwhelmed by a magic tiki idol, but she’ll learn to use its powers for good (or evil.)

What are your current projects? 

I’m working on Samantha’s story. Samantha is Wendy’s mother and, of course, stumbles upon the tiki idol which Wendy has lost. It’s great to see how the idol has different effects on different people. I guess it’s more like the Room of Requirement in the Harry Potter books. It brings out whatever sexual awakening the person holding it needs.

Sounds like the makings of a great series!

Do you write under a pen name? 

Of course I do. I teach Sunday school. Do you think I could get away with writing erotica under my own name?

Yep, I can relate until my youngest child announced to his third grade class that his mom was a writer and told them my pen name. Yikes lol.

Now for some fun.

Has the dog ever eaten your manuscript? 

I don’t drink a lot. A glass of wine or Prosecco with dinner, and I’m good. But the time my computer and flash drive got muddled and I lost 185 pages, I raided the whiskey my husband brought home from Ireland. I didn’t care that I could have drowned my sorrows in something cheaper, especially after 3 or 4 shots. I felt awful the next day, but I would have felt awful anyway.

Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write? 

I envy those who plot out their stories. I know authors who have whiteboards or computer programs that help them map their characters’ lives. I’m so much messier. Usually, I start with an image of the main character. She is typically in an odd situation and I just put a lot of garbage on the page. It means many rewrites and revisions but that’s part of the fun.

Do you laugh at your own jokes? 

Only if the joke is on me. There’s nothing more absurd than when I make a mistake. I try to beat everyone to the punch line to show that I am confident enough to look like an idiot.

Are you fun to go on vacation with?

I’m only fun to travel with if you like an adventure. I’d rather rent an apartment in a foreign city than stay at a hotel. I’d rather take the local public transportation than a taxi. Id’ rather try the local foods than eat something safe. (Although, I won’t be eating haggis more than that one time) I’m going to climb every twisty staircase of every dilapidated castle, hike every trail and meander through every side street. But every few days I’ll sleep in and lounge by the pool.

Have you ever found true love? 

Absolutely, and I’ll explain that true love is easy to find when you understand what it is.

Romance isn’t a dozen roses or even an inexpensive mixed bouquet. Romance is your loved one saying, “Thanks for all you do.” Romance is holding hands while walking to the grocery store. Romance is dancing in the kitchen while making pasta and warming sauce from a jar.

If you’re waiting for that diamond necklace or that trip to the Bahamas—stop. If you can only get in the mood after a five course meal and limo ride, you’ve got no mood to find. Luxury and extravagance is for those who have no imagination.

Thank you so much for stopping by.
To learn more about Ruby, visit her website: www.rubybassett.com

Friend her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RubyBassettAuthor

Follow her on Twitter: @RubyBAuthor

Pick up Idol Urges at http://goo.gl/hwOlxL 






No comments: