Friday, March 14, 2014

One the edge of the seat with Mary Martinez

I have the wonderful and talented Mary Martinez with us today. Mary pens edge of your seat suspense along with contemporary romance and fiction. But it's her suspense books that fill my digital shelves. Mary is an author who gets deep into her character's head. She wants to to feel every spine tingling moment right along with her characters.

Do you plot or let the story unfold as you write?

I’m what you would call a pantser. I have a general idea of how the story will go. I never know how it will end until I write it.

Did you have to research forensic science or criminal psychology for your latest suspense?

I have several forensic science books I’ve purchased at conferences that I use. And I rely a lot on the Internet. Heaven forbid if the government ever checks out the sites I visit. I am currently working on the fourth book of a suspense series. The forensic book is coming in handy for me to describe what the body would look like, the condition, etc. at the murder scene. Watching Dexter and reading the series helped me with death scenes also, LOL.

Do you have set times during the day that you write?

In my fantasies I do. But my time to write is whenever I can grab a minute or hour. It’s the most challenging thing about writing for me. Finding the time. Oh, and editing.

I know exactly what you mean. Even when I plan time, life seems to get in the way.

What tips would you give a new writer?

First, join a writer’s group. Even if the core of the group isn’t the genre you write. Having a group of experienced authors within reach is invaluable. Second, join a book club, one with readers not other writers. I know you’re supposed to be writing, right? Yes, but the things you learn from the readers help you to know what people want. You also read other genre’s and get a taste of different writing styles. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done.

Do you have to travel researching your book(s)?

With the Internet around, technically, no one needs to travel. But nothing helps a scene more than actually visiting the area your scene will take place. Yes, you can see pictures of Time Square, but to experience the energy, lights, traffic, hotdogs, sweat, perfume, that mingle together in a pot, is invaluable. You don’t get that from the Internet.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you! I love to write, but hearing how much a reader enjoyed my book is better than finding the pot at the end of a rainbow.

Now for a little fun...

If you were going to commit the perfect murder, how would you go about it?

If I say how I’d go about it, it wouldn’t be the perfect murder because it would be out there. The first step to the perfect murder is NO ONE KNOWS WHAT YOU PLAN. The second is NO WITNESSES.

What is your favorite drink?

Easy: Morning—Coffee, Evening—Wine. And a few margarita’s in between!
Do you ever wish that you had an entirely uncreative job, like data entry or working in a factory?

Well you’ve just described my day job! Office work. I wish I could write all day.

Has the dog ever eaten your manuscript?

No, but the floppy disk (long time ago) my Watching Jenny (then Peek A Boo, I See You manuscript) was on was burned when I set it down too close to the candle I burn when I write. I had to take it to a guy to retrieve the information, he was able to save about 75%. That was a hard lesson to learn.

Are you fun to go on vacation with?

Hello!

Mary is definitely a lady who loves to travel. I have her to thank for my research on Wanderlust!

and follow her on Twitter: @marylmartinez 

Mary is a blogger. Find her at...
Current release: Three Brides and a Dress
To Purchase

1 comment:

Mary said...

Thank you, Kyann, for.featuring me on your blog. I'm sorry I'm so late checking in.